Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Variety of Thoughts

Browns & Pride
It doesn’t serve any purpose to pick a winner in the Browns' game each week anymore. Their season has been over for a while and they are playing purely for individual pride since the coaching staff is out of here at the end of the season and so are many of the players.

When you consider everything involved, it’s been the worst season I can remember since the original Browns’ last year in Cleveland in the mid-90s.

This regime misread last year’s 10 wins versus a puff schedule, made the wrong call on the starting quarterback that also cost them valuable time in developing their first round pick of two years ago, their Pro-Bowl players (Thomas, Winslow, Edwards) of 2007 took a step, or in Butterfingers’ case, a cliff-dive, backwards in ’08, their GM embarrassed himself off the field by being the first player personnel type I can remember to get into a s%$#@ match with a fan over the internet, their head coach lost total control of the team and is dead man walking in terms of being fired at year’s end, and their owner, who is first and foremost a soccer fan, didn’t start paying attention until the Browns’ crowd in the stands come the fourth quarter resembled an Indians' game down at the old Stadium circa 1980.

You tell me when it’s been worse?

Marty
Marty S. recently gave notice he would like to be part of the Browns’ new front office if the Lerner clan chooses Bill Cowher to coach the team. Bad idea.

Marty is a Hall of Fame coach, not a Hall of Fame talent evaluator. It would be like paying an outstanding high school math teacher to be a science teacher instead –a waste of funds.

If Lerner wants to throw away his money giving Marty a token job (i.e. VP in charge of bringing back the gleam) for PR sake, fine. But DON’T give him any real responsibility. He’s a coach not a GM.

Kurt Warner
Someone recently brought up the subject of Kurt Warner and his chance of being enshrined in the NFL’s Hall of Fame.

It’s not a close call – Warner is already in. The guy has two league MVP awards, a ton of career passing yards and he makes 300 yard passing games look easy.

What more does he need to do?

Check it out, there are plenty of quarterbacks in the HOF who haven’t put up his numbers or even come close. And you can’t go to the “they have a ring” card. So does he!

Had he not been a late bloomer and a product of the Arena Football League, this wouldn’t even be an issue. And because he didn't play in N.Y. (i.e Phil Simms), his qualifications are still being questioned.

Football Cardinals
I am rooting for the Arizona Cardinals in the NFL playoffs. The last time they won a division title, Eric Metcalf’s dad, Terry Metcalf, led the way in 1975. I was a junior high patrol boy at the time - damn good at it too.

The Cardinals winning a division crown took me back to my youth, so the least I can do is root for them. Plus, I'm a softy at heart and like underdogs.

CC
I’m stunned he finally signed with the Yankees for the most money offered. Actually, I’m shocked. And here I thought it was all about landing somewhere his family could feel “comfortable.”

Remember what we wrote nearly two years ago – he was gone, likely to NY, or a facsimile there of, as soon as his contract was up.

Good work Mark Shapiro – you go it right and dealt him before he walked. Now, let’s hope the guys in question the Tribe got in return can play.

From here on out - this is a CC free zone. At least until he gags in the post-season again. I'm curious that he reportedly got an "out clause" after three years if he so chooses. Perhaps, he's afraid of what awaits him in the Big Apple.

Because I have news for him, no one is going to give him more than he's making now with NY - unless it's NY (i.e. A Rod). No, C.C. isn't about the money. Not at all. Right.

Indians and Kerry Wood
The Indians reportedly have offered Kerry Wood a two-year/$20 million deal to close in 2009 & 2010. I hope they were able to get a reputable insurance company to buy in. This guy goes on the DL about as often as you and I change underwear. I don’t question his talent, just his ability to stay healthy.

Plus, $10 million a year is a lot for the Tribe to pay for a closer unless he’s named Mariano Rivera. It’s a reach in terms of money spent, but I’m sure they are covered nicely insurance-wise if he goes down.

Johnny P
My boy Johnny Peralta is playing 3B in winter ball. That means they are moving him there in 2008. I always wanted him to move to 2B instead because his bat would be a luxury there. What this tells us is they will be trading for or signing either a SS or 2B very soon. I just hope the player in question is a first division talent – otherwise, it’s a step backwards.

LJ & Charles Part II
We want to go a step further and suggest that LeBron not only shut up about his future home, as Charles Barkley recommended a couple weeks ago, but that he also stop talking about his favorite sports teams and their needs.

I could give a $#@! what he thinks of the Yankees signing CC. My guess is LJ would have a tough time naming the Yankees starting rotation last season. The fact that he openly roots for the Yankees and Cowboys when they are in town playing the Indians or Browns annoys me still. If it doesn’t annoy you and you like the home teams, then it says something about you as well.

That’s okay, I will enjoy his immense talent the next year and a half realizing he’s headed elsewhere in the summer of 2010. You can take that to the bank.

Like I wrote earlier, I would spend this coming off-season taking offers for 23. You don’t want to hear it but it’s the right call long-term for the Cavs. That is unless you want to be left holding the bag (getting nothing in return) once he skips town when his current deal is done.

Yes, we see him landing in the same general area code as we told you CC would land in – New York. Sorry, the truth can be painful.

The only thing that may keep him in town is for the Cavaliers to win the NBA Championship this season and he sees the possibility of getting several rings with this bunch if he stays put. But don’t bet on it.

For being a tremendous team player on the court (alla Magic & Bird), LJ seems to me to be the most selfish individual I have seen in sports off the court.

What do I mean by that – remember what his people have stated publicly, they expect him to be a “global icon” and the world’s first “billion $” athlete.

Mind you, nothing about winning multiple championships, just about his worldwide conquest ambitions.

Hey, I just call them as I see them.

JJ Hickson
Hickson reminds me of a stronger Roy Hinson. Those of you who are too young to remember Hinson, he was a lanky power forward who gave the Cavaliers 16/9 on a regular basis and could defend and block shots.

It’s early, but I like Hickson’s athleticism and how comfortable he looks banging bodies inside. Some players look like they want no part of the NBA’s rough and tumble inside game. This kid likes it.


Steelers-Ravens
I will watch the Steelers – Ravens game this coming weekend. It’s old time football with both teams trying to bully the other. Again, both teams have a clear identity – something that has been lacking in Cleveland since the late 80s.

NFC
I read where the Carolina Panthers would be the #1 seed in the NFC if they win out. That tells you all you need to know about the NFC. I still like the Steelers and Cowboys in the Super Bowl – assuming the “Boys” get in. Since Brady went down for the year, we have been riding the Steelers’ bandwagon in terms of who we think will win the Super Bowl. Our opinion hasn’t changed.

Heisman
Why is the winner almost always a guy who either throws the ball, runs with the ball or catches it? They are better off naming it “College Football’s Skilled Player of the Year Award.”

Don’t tell me the best college football player in all the land never plays on the defensive side of the ball.

For example, even I knew Champ Bailey was the best football player under the age of 22 when he was a senior in college. Why didn’t he win it?

College B-ball
I have yet to watch a college basketball game this year. I'll pay attention come March or when my wife (a Duke fan) and son (a NC fan) make me watch when they face off.

I did catch Dick Vitale going off about how NC could take on some of the NBA's worst teams right now and be competitive. He's off his rocker again.

I remember when he declared the following when one-time Duke guard Jason Williams was lighting up some college cream puff - "the second best point guard on the planet next to Jason Kidd."

I laughed then, and I laugh now when he gets silly. He is great for college basketball however. Just don't take him seriously if you are a pro GM.

Going Pro
I hear some of these current high profile college QBs who are expected to go in the first round are thinking of coming back to school. Bad move. Get paid, go learn the pro game, then finish your degree in the off-season.

No comments: