Sunday, October 11, 2009

Browns Get A Win

Wow. I just witnessed the NFL’s version of a botched abortion. The Cleveland Browns’ 6-3 win over the Buffalo Bills might be the worst NFL game I have ever seen. Period.

Regardless, congratulations to Eric Mangini, his coaches and players for their first win of the 2009 season. It does count.

There were so many horrid things going on, I don’t know where to begin. For one thing, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many procedure and false starts by an offensive line – at any level. I realize the Bills have been hit hard by injuries, but all their linemen do get paid, don’t they? Even at the high school level, you don’t get that much movement prior to the snap.

When was the last time you saw an NFL game where the best player on the field was the punter? The Browns’ Dave Zastudil nailed three punts inside the Bills’ 5-yard line and had 386 yards punting on the day.

How is it possible for a pro team to complete its first pass with just 0:37 left in the half? Perhaps that’s why the Browns’ coaching staff sat on the ball with decent field position, timeouts in tow and the wind at their back late in the first half up 3-0. That was beyond conservative and bordering on the ridiculous. They won, so no one will mention it but me.

Speaking of the ridiculous, “Butterfingers” left town but left his calling card. I counted five drops on the day for the Browns. It must be infectious. When was the last time the Browns had that many drops and Braylon wasn’t involved?

I’m no offensive coordinator and don’t play one on television, but I would have tried to get the ball to TO more often if I were the Bills. He was the best talent on the football field – this side of Dave Zastudil of course. Thankfully for the Browns, the Bills decided to spread the garbage around.

On a positive note – and trust me – I had to look long and hard for one, the Browns have posted back-to-back 100 yard rushers in consecutive games. I knew turning the offense over to Derek Anderson would pay big dividends.

October 21 is the trading deadline I’m told. If true, I reiterate my hope that Brady Quinn has a new home address on Thursday the 22nd. Here’s a kid who actually wanted to play in Cleveland, waited patiently for his opportunity, went down with an injury once that opportunity came, came back and had to win the job again, was given the reigns, then yanked less than three games in. Quinn stunk in is 10 quarters of play in ’09 – no argument there. But anyone who has seen this mess of an offense, the schemes they use, the personnel packages they employ, and the overall talent level they possess and thinks that kid got a good, long look at QB needs a lobotomy.

As for next week’s trip to Pittsburgh to take on the Steelers, I expect it to be as ugly as watching one of the Indians’ soft-tossing lefties (pick your favorite) try to get out a quality line-up without their best stuff. The Las Vegas line might actually reach 20 – something unheard of in NFL circles.

No comments: