Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Short & Quick

I'm in a football mood tonight for some reason.

DA
I don’t care what he said on his way out. We knew he was soft when crowded in the pocket and said so before everyone else figured it out.

So it didn’t surprise me when DA whined about the fans on his way out the door like a 3-year old missing his tuggy. Someone forget to tell this meathead the quarterback gets too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things go south.

He was never bright enough to check down when on the field so why would anyone be surprised he gassed the fans after back-to-back horrid seasons.

The fact this guy earned LARGE paychecks from this sad organization for five years tells you all you need to know about the Browns and where they’ve been.

Thankfully, this will be the last time we go over this ground - thank goodness.

Here’s the best part – some team will pick this guy up and perhaps put their billion dollar franchise in his hands. Is this a great country or what?

Cribbs
He got more than I would have offered, but it’s not my money, so I’m happy he’s staying. The “Walrus” did it right.

Seneca
If you go way back, you’ll find I have always liked Seneca Wallace. Therefore, I applaud the move to bring him to town. I think the guy can start and be successful.

However, I would not bring in a retread quarterback on the down side of his career (aka Jake D.) now. I prefer giving Quinn 16 starts and having Wallace ready in the bullpen if Brady fails to reach the late innings. But you already know that.

If I’m the Browns, I certainly wouldn’t deal Quinn now. He has no trade value coming off another injury and mediocre numbers in limited play.

Again, you want to deal players when their value is at their highest – not lowest.

Of course that would take BOTH knowledge and guts - something most pro sports executives don’t have. You see, if you think the guy can’t play, but he’s coming off a big year, you risk your career if you make the move and are wrong.

Most of these weasels play it safe. God, I hate that. I like decision-makers with stones.

For Quinn’s sake, I hope he does get moved somewhere where he can play. We stated that during the 2009 season once Mangini pulled him. Obviously, his coach doesn’t think much of him.

The jury is still out if the Walrus feels the same way. If Quinn gets dealt for a dozen footballs and a tackling sled, then you have your answer.

West Coast In Cleveland
I keep hearing the Browns are going to run the West Coast offense in 2010. Am I the only one to think this is absurd?

I though Eric Mangini was the coach not the Walrus. What is Mangini doing there if the Walrus is making ALL the decisions – including what offense to run?

Unless I am mistaken, Mangini never ran the West Coast offense with the Jets nor in his first year with the Browns. It’s just a coincidence I guess then that the players and even the %$#@ coaches now have to learn yet ANOTHER new system.

So much for continuity.

At times, I feel like I’m in the wilderness trying to understand why everyone else isn’t asking the same questions.

Free Agents
I have no comment on the Browns’ free agent acquisitions. Why? I haven’t seen them play enough to form an opinion.

I assume they’ll help based on what the team had on the field in 2009. The right tackle position was a swinging gate at times and we already wondered out loud last fall why the Browns played a 3-4 when they had a tough time fielding three decent NFL linebackers.

Protected List
I don’t know how the NFL restricted and unrestricted lists work, but did you get a look at the talent (that’s a play on words) the Browns protected. Most of these guys would be backups elsewhere.

Who the hell is going to want linebacker Jason Trusnik, let alone give you a draft pick for him?

Here’s another one – I believe they placed a second round tag on a guy they picked up off the streets in the middle of the season – defensive lineman Matt Roth.

The sick part is this guy was one of their best defensive players by year’s end.

Bonus Wisdom
I know I repeat myself from time to time in terms of my philosophy on these matters. However, repetition improves retention. Hopefully, some of these pearls sink in over time.

Surprise Entry
One last note - what do you get when you have a 28-year old narcissistic quarterback, who has never been told to grow up, a new $102 million contract, college bars, body guards, booze and 20 year old coeds?

That's right - you get Big Ben hiring OJ's lawyer - check that, he's dead.

What a moron.

He's got the world by the stones, a bulls-eye on his chest for being a wealthy public figure, he's already been in trouble once and he still decides to hang out in college bars calling broads, 10 at a time even, to the back room while his boys keep the "Johnsons" out of the room.

Nice.

Till next time.

No comments: