Friday, April 15, 2011

12 Items

We'll cover a dozen items this time around in case we are out of action for a while (explained later).

I have never seen a college game where the teams locked down defensively as well as Connecticut and Butler did for 40 minutes a few weeks ago. No, it wasn’t an “ugly game” like many would have you believe. That was very good defense played by Butler and phenomenal defense played by the Huskies. Connecticut was more athletic and longer overall and that was the difference when the smoke cleared.

Some players get traded because they have a poor work ethics, some because they can’t knock down a jumper while others are banished elsewhere because they don’t guard anyone. In Phoenix, Jason Richardson was traded because he allegedly fathered a child with Hall of Famer Steve Nash’s wife. Ouch! By the way, that sort of drama happens more often than you think in pro sports.

Based on what I saw during the NCAA Tournament, there isn’t a lot of difference between the first pick in the upcoming NBA draft and the 10th. Therefore, the teams with the best player personnel departments will earn their keep this June.

Kudos to Byron Scott for getting the Cavaliers to play hard down the stretch. That’s not easy to do when you have the league’s worst record for all but one week of the season. By the way, the OSU kid (JS) is crazy if he doesn't come out early. He's a top-3 pick in my book based on what I saw. He is extremely polished with his back to the basket for a 19-year old, is fundamentally sound and has an NBA body. The only question with him is if he will eventually be just an 18/10 guy or 21+/11+ player. That answer will depend to a great degree on if/when he develops an elbow jumper facing the hoop. If he does, it will extend his career (less wear and tear inside) and make him awful difficult to defend. And yes, I know he doesn't play above the rim. But that's why he's so skilled below it. He's had to work at it.

The Indians are over .500 at the moment. Enjoy it fans – they won’t likely stay there. The starting pitching is mediocre at best and ditto for the offense and defense. Sorry. It is what it is. Now, if Sizemore comes all the way back, Travis Hafner dips his shoulder in steroids goo and Fausto Carmona goes off all year, they could contend, but I don’t see them going 3–for-3. A 75-87 record looks about right.

How does Cam Newton go from not being able complete passes playing simple catch with receivers in shorts and a t-shirt on a pro day to being considered the #1 pick in the draft? Someone explain that to me. While you are at it, explain how these same experts who think he should go #1 add that he’s "not polished, possesses poor mechanics, is somewhat immature, isn't ready for a pro-system, and is a project (aka: needs time on the bench)"? If you go #1, shouldn’t you be ready to play? If he’s the best player in this draft, I’m a founding member of mensa (“a top 2% intellectual” for those of you verbally challenged). The NFL first round is the easiest evaluation process to get right. You heard me. You have several years of tape on most of these guys, you have access to all their coaches, and opposing coaches, these kids aren't 18 and wet behind the ears but are in the early 20s already, and you get to pick them apart in person in Indianapolis and in individual personal workouts. Come on. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's a duck.

Speaking of Newton, Auburn is putting up a monument/statue of him in front of their stadium, along with the school’s two previous Heisman Trophy winners. I’m not sure that’s a good idea, especially if/when the NCAA tells Auburn it has to give its national championship and Heisman (aka: Reggie Bush) back because of high jinks with Newton and/or his old man. I’d lay the odds at 50-50 right now of that happening. Of course, the statue will probably stay since the NCAA can’t make you take that down. Oh well, I guess one out of three isn’t bad. Those numbers get you into the baseball HOF.

My new whipping boy is Blake Griffith of the Clippers. Yes, I know he went 22/11 in his rookie year and he’s an exciting, hard-nosed player who will get better, but this dude has had more air time on ESPN than MJ received when he was winning titles every year. The guy can really dunk – we get it!

D. Ware of the Cowboys gave back his $60,000 check from the NFL Players’ Union given out to all NFL player so they feed their families and pay the light bill during the strike. The story isn’t that Ware did a nice thing by basically saying “I don’t need it, give it to someone who does.” The story here is that athletes who average $1.7 million a year in earnings need “get by” money during a work stoppage. Amazing. Geez, I wonder how long the average American can get by on $60,000? Obviously, pro athletes are a different breed or as that wise man Patrick Ewing once said – “Yes, we NBA players make a lot of money, but we also spend a lot of money too!” A mere $60,000 will probably last a month once you make the Mercedes and BMW payments, pay the mortgage on both houses, give cousin Sperm and aunt Pap Smear their allowances, buy the wife her anniversary present and take that two-week vacation to Bermuda.

I’m starting to wonder about our president. Even though I don’t agree with him on many issues, I have been a fan of his personality from day one – thinking he’s an okay guy. However, I’m having doubts. This past week he invited Paul Ryan – the dude I tagged as a great future presidential candidate two years ago – to his speech on attacking the debt problem. Ryan went and then had to sit there in the front row while Obama ripped his (Ryan’s) debt reduction plan to shreds, including a line or two about how “autistic children” would suffer dearly under Ryan’s Republican plan. Nice. I’m sure that made Ryan and the Republicans eager to start negotiations on finding middle ground with the President on tackling our huge national debt. Yes, Obama’s speech writers wrote the lines, but that doesn’t mean the President has to read them. Why not take the high road when you invite folks to dinner instead of slapping them in the face once they walk through the door? What did he gain by that approach other than hugs and kisses from his base. It seemed like a real bad play to me, and worse, it seemed cruel and unusual punishment at that. Like I said, I’m starting to think BO isn’t just a narcissist – something I can excuse him of being since he’s an historical figure – but he’s starting to look like an SOB as well. That play just wasn’t necessary and inappropriate in that setting my man. You’re better than that – or I thought you were.

The NBA playoffs begin promptly. I'll keep it simple - even with all their injuries and turmoil, I still like the Lakers and Celtics to meet in the Finals with LA coming out on top. Why? The Lakers have been there done that and they have a finisher when needed (KB). As for Boston, I'll take experience in a seven-game series every time over younger legs. I just think it's awful difficult beating quality veteran squads 4x in two weeks. And I didn't pick SA because I don't see Duncan having enough gas left in the tank to go 20/10 in a series against LA. Yes, I know LA can't stop quick point guards and Boston doesn't have real depth in the post any more (Perkins trade).


And in case I don't post before the upcoming NFL draft, I'll recap what I would do if I ran the Browns' ship, even though I will sound like a broken record. First, take the guy you have highest on your board in the first round. Period. If everyone on the planet thinks the LSU corner (PP) is the next Champ Bailey, why hesitate? If he's gone, go to the next guy on your list. Second, fill one of the two open receiver spots on the team and pass rush needs through free agency (when it gets here) and through being aggressive via trades. Remember, NFL teams treat draft picks like they are gold. The right team will give a you a quality NFL wideout or perhaps even a pass rusher for a 2nd round pick and a bag of footballs. I don't get it, but history tells us this is the norm. Would you rather have to depend on another rookie receiver to get you 75 grabs or someone who has already done it at this level? And if you read me, you know not to go to the "Yhey might have guys on their roster who might do that." We covered that years ago when everyone else, including the Browns, were walking around on all fours with that line.


By the way, I will be out of the country soon visiting relatives I have not seen since early in Reagan's first term. So if you need to reach me, get a hold of me before May 11. I will be unavailable until June 2. I will check my e-mail sporadically during that stretch. However, phone lines will be much harder to secure. Actually, I'll be in Pakistan following a couple leads on OBL's whereabouts.

Be good!

No comments: