Friday, March 23, 2007

Legacy & Hesitation

Kobe's Legacy
I see where the national media is falling over itself praising Kobe Bryant for scoring 50 or more in three consecutive games. Some are even pushing him for MVP consideration. It would be sending the wrong message if he won the award. His Lakers are barely .500 and will likely be an early out if they make the playoffs. Yes, he might be the most talented player in the league, but you can make a case for him being the most selfish as well. Instead of working it out with Shaq and trying to accumulate as many rings as possible, he made it clear he wanted to be "the man" in LA. Kobe got what he wanted - the opportunity to be the show. Meanwhile, his legacy will be leading the lower seeded Lakers into continued playoff oblivion while producing countless ESPN INDIVIDUAL highlights. That's a long way from challenging MJ in terms of rings.

Confused
I recently had a quality exchange with a friend of mine over what the Browns should do with the #3 pick in the draft. He wants Adrian Peterson, but would be happy with Calvin Johnson. I want Brady Quinn AND Calvin Johnson (see previous post). He asked me to choose between the two, and I hesitated before responding. Those who know me know I never hesitate. But this one has me confused. If I am right on Quinn's talent and the Browns land him at #3, they will have the most important position on the field settled for the next 10 years. That's huge in terms of continuity and consistent team success. However, Johnson plays the one position on the field that, in my opinion, a player can have the most immediate impact - wide receiver. This freak of nature could be the next Randy Moss with more strength and no baggage. I just hope the Browns don't pass on Johnson because they feel they have already heavily invested in Braylon Edwards and can't justify paying two receivers that kind of money. That would be making one bad decision - choosing Edwards at #3 - and compounding it by using that pick as an excuse for not taking Johnson. As to who I would choose between Quinn and Johnson? I still want them BOTH and the heck with the rest of the draft and next year's #1, #3 and #5. But if I had to take one, it would be Quinn. The Browns could make it easy for me though by acquiring a quality, veteran starting quarterback prior to the draft. Then the decision is a simple one - Calvin Johnson!

No comments: