Sunday, March 18, 2007

Sunday's Thoughts

Up Tempo Not The Answer
I am still not sold on the Dallas Mavericks or the Phoenix Suns winning an NBA Championship this summer - regardless of how many games they win in the regular season. Granted, the Mavs play some defense, but if I had to put the mortgage on it, my money would still go on the likes of San Antonio or Detroit to win it all. I have seen too many Western Conference scoring machines over the years that impress you with style points put can't close out the deal by winning four games against a quality team that defends. Perhaps this year will be different. But I have to see it to believe it.

LeBron On Point
The Cavaliers are playing their best basketball with Larry Hughes handling the ball a lot. Coach Brown deserves credit for finding a combination that seems to work. I have always been a big fan of putting the best five players on the floor regardless of position. However, I would love to see what LJ would do over the course of a full NBA season if he had the ball in his hands 90% of the time - instead of just down the stretch. I still feel that's his best position when you consider the combination or size, speed, strength and court awareness he possesses.

Calvin Johnson & Brady Quinn
I want them both. You heard me right. The Browns will likely get one of the two come draft day. But I want them both. How about a Ricky Williams' type draft day deal to make it happen? I know that one failed miserably. Remember, Williams had off-the-field issues. Johnson not only has freak-type numbers - 6-5, 42 inch vertical, sub 4.4 speed, good hands - but he seems to "get it." There aren't any off-the-field red flags with him that would make one cautious of taking him. Johnson is listed on most boards as the best player available. I realize the Browns won't do it. It's too risky. But answer this question - How many Pro Bowl players have they drafted since their return in '99? None. Why not role the dice? If you are right, the payoff is huge!

No comments: