Wednesday, September 17, 2008

GOR, Browns at Ravens, Week #3

Browns – Ravens
We like the Browns to finally break through in week #3 with a 27-17 win over Baltimore. The reasoning is based on two main factors.

First, the offense is due to wake up from its slumber. After having scored one touchdown in eight quarters of play, its time they get on the same page and put some points on the board this week.

Anderson should finally find his rhythm and “Butterfingers” is likely to catch at least as many passes as he drops. Heck, he might even catch a touchdown pass or two. We also expect Jamaal Lewis to give the Browns enough of a running game to keep the Ravens’ defense from pinning its ears back and coming after DA.

Secondly, the Browns defense should be able to put eight in the box and control the run while forcing some turnovers in the passing game against a rookie quarterback (Flaco).

This should give Cleveland’s offense good field position to work with – which should lead to multiple touchdowns this time out. That is unless Romeo decides he’d rather settle for field goals again.

If a worse case scenario occurs and the Browns lose to a rookie QB and the mediocre Baltimore team that surrounds him, the wolves (media & fans) will be out for Romeo’s head. If that does happen, it’s wrong. I will cover this later in this entry.

Regardless, we do not expect Romeo and company to lose on Sunday. Everything is aligned for a Cleveland win. The way we see it, the only way the Browns lose is if Lewis puts it on the ground several times or DA has a meltdown. The Ravens should not be able to outscore the Browns with that physically challenged offense of theirs and a novice at QB at the helm.

Finally, look for Josh Cribbs to play an important role this week. I have no idea how healthy he is, but if he’s close to his old self, that bodes well for Cleveland.

Trojans versus Buckeyes
I see where Ohio State is playing Troy this week. That’s three cupcakes out of four to start the season once again for the Buckeyes. And I’m not even including the Big 10 schedule.

Yet, they want to be taken seriously in Columbus as a big-time program. Come on. Take off your scarlet and grey glasses Buckeye Nation. Those players get absolutely nothing out of playing this kind of schedule.

Here’s some advice – cherish that fluke National Title you won in 2002. That’s right – fluke. I may be the only Ohioan honest enough to admit what happened. Everything bounced Ohio State’s way that season. That was far from a dominant football team.

However, in the end, they did earn that championship, mostly on the back of outstanding coaching by the defensive staff that fall. Some of those coaches are gone now. They’ve moved on to bigger and better things, and it shows.

How else do you explain the Floridas, LSUs and USCs of this world lighting up the Buckeye defense the past few years? OSU still has excellent talent on that side of the ball – just pay attention come NFL draft time if you want proof.

Yea, they can still stuff the likes of Purdue and Northwestern, and handle Michigan most of the time. But so what? The rest of the nation is laughing at OSU and this conference as a whole, and will continue to do so until they get some quality non-conference wins.

Sorry – Troy does not qualify.

Indians
I see where Wedge and company have come around and are playing Victor at 1B and letting my boy Shoppach catch most of the time. Good move. Next up in 2009 – look for Cabrera to finally move to shortstop as we suggested well over a year ago.

Remember what we said on day 1 – it’s all about having the stones to Get On Record (GOR) and having a good batting average to back it up.

Romeo
That’s (GOR) why I get upset when I start hearing and reading some in the media now taking shots at Romeo and the Browns for that extension he signed a while back.

Where the hell were they when it happened?

Anyone can complain after the fact – that’s called Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Columnists especially get my panties in an uproar. They are paid to get on record and occasionally get it right.

Unless you were opposed to RC getting the extension at the time, you have no business riding his %$#@ and the organization’s %$#@ now if the team goes south – unless as part of the piece you point out you didn’t oppose it at the time. That’s only fair.

You see, I didn’t like the move (extension) at the time. I got on record on these pages, but I don’t want to be right. Why - because I’ve watched RC and I like the man. So here’s hoping Romeo, a good guy, gets a win this Sunday and keeps the wolves off his back.

The same goes for DA, who I have ripped from day 1. I want him to throw five TD passes this week and lead the Browns to the playoffs. Why – because I’m a Browns’ fan first. I don’t need to be right all the time. It gets boring if that ever happens. And I’m not kidding. You have no idea how bored I am watching most sporting events. Actually, some of you do.

As for those who get paid to give their opinions (.e. columnists) and tell you absolutely nothing of value except what we can all see with our own eyes after the fact – shame on you. You are stealing money. Go dig a ditch for a living or join the Peace Corps. Do some good.

I feel better now. Thanks for the couch.

Remember - 27-17 Browns.

A Personal Note
One final personal thought. I have had several people inquire how things are going. It’s mostly very good. I am thoroughly enjoying my daytime job (teaching) and still covering sports occasionally on the side – just one night a week, that’s plenty for me.

I’m spending lots of quality time with my youngest – she’s 10, and hanging out with my son, 16, when he’ll have me.

By the way, my 10 year old daughter makes a mean margarita for daddy. I think the key is how many ice cubes she puts in the blender, but she won’t tell me. She says it's a secret. Relax. She doesn’t drink any of it. I handle that part.

Advice
Since I don't speak to many of you on a regular basis anymore because life moves us forward, not backwards, remember the basics - treat everyone with respect and do not let anyone insult your intelligence.

As for those of you in the business, and you know who you are - work hard, soak up knowledge and don’t think those around you know more than you. They might have more time punched in on the clock, but the large majority of them don’t have your skills. Trust me on this one. Some of you made me look good for a lot of years. For that, I will always be in your debt.

Till next time.

No comments: