Monday, September 29, 2008

Time For A Change

Sleeping On It
I wanted to sleep on a few additional thoughts I had after the Browns’ game yesterday to make sure my head was clear and I was thinking straight. My head’s fine and I haven’t changed my views after watching that 20-12 come-from-behind heart-stopping win at Cincinnati.

So here goes.

Braylon Edwards
As you know, I didn’t like him coming out of Michigan, thought he was pompous/arrogant once he got to town, and had atrocious hands. He’s the poster-child for what is wrong with today’s biggest premadona position in sports (wide receivers). After another sideline meltdown act and the “Guitar Hero” act that followed in the end zone after his first TD of the season, I actually felt embarrassed for the guy.

Edwards could never play for me. Period.

In my humble opinion, he’s the type of player who would complain he didn’t get enough touches after a win. Yea, I know, T.O. is the same way, perhaps worse. The only difference is T.O. will be in the Hall of Fame some day.

We can argue the merits of having that type of cancer on your team, but no one will ever convince me Edwards is worth the trouble. The only person who thinks Edwards is going to Canton some day is Edwards himself.

Clock Management & Quarterbacks
I have no idea why Romeo did not use a timeout with just under a minute remaining in the second quarter to get the ball back one more time when Cincinnati was lining up for a field goal.

The only logical explanation is that he had no confidence in his quarterback. Yet he put DA back out there to start the third quarter after another horrid first half. The only conclusion I can come to is he will never turn it over to Quinn unless DA goes down with an injury.

I am not a conspiracy theorist like others who feel he (RC) has a grudge against the Notre Dame grad. I have no idea why the kid hasn't played. I've stopped trying to figure it out.

I know one thing - if I'm Quinn's agent, I'm in Savage's ear this morning. The player can do and say all the right things, but the agent should be making waves behind the scenes.

Something along the lines of "If you refuse to play him at all, then deal him elsewhere where he can get on the field. There's plenty of teams that need a starting QB."

This whole mess begs the following question – Why ever have three quarterbacks active if you refuse to pull the starter under all conditions short a bone break or a concussion?

Romeo Has Lost This Team & Must Go
The following observation is a change in position on my part but it comes with an explanation. Hopefully, you buy it.

Last week, I wrote Phil Savage should allow Crennel to work through this season unless the roof caved in. My thinking was he (RC) deserved a chance to make the quarterback change and ride the season out as head coach and be evaluated at year's end.

I have changed my mind.

It is obvious I was wrong about Crennel’s intentions. He is married to DA – making that absolutely clear in the Cincinnati game. I firmly believe had Cincinnati had not been called off-sides precluding what would have been DA’s second pick, the Browns would have lost that game and Crennel would be fired today.

I have no way of proving that to be the case. Call it a hunch. Regardless, we all know he’s on a very short leash. Besides, it is clear now Crennel has lost any control he had.

Okay – follow me here.

We all know this team is headed absolutely nowhere. There is a good chance they will lose their next three games – putting them at 1-6 with the only victory coming against the Harvard QB led Bengals.

Even if Crennel and is staff manage to win a few games the rest of the season – he’s not coming back. Savage can’t bring him back after a 6-10 season that included playoff aspirations turning into yet another top-10 pick in the draft.

Pull the trigger now Phil! I know it goes against your nature. You are a cautious man. You proved that with the resigning of DA – which helped get the team into this mess.

I'm not going to say I told you so, I'm going to do you a favor and give you more free advice.

Do the following: Call ”Lockjaw” (aka Bill Cowher) and see if he wants the job. If he turns it down, give “There’s a Gleam, Men” (aka Marty) a buzz and let him know you can come home again.

My guess is one of these two future HOF coaches will take the job. Hurry before someone else makes those calls.

Why? Simple. The Lerners will have to make a financial offer too good to pass up. The new Browns’ head coach will likely be the highest paid head coach in the history of the NFL. It’s the only way to go.

No more assistants being promoted to run the “Brown and Orange." The Lerners have no choice. They’ve run this team like the LA Clippers since day #1 (1999). Think about it – Art Modell looks like a smart owner compared to these guys.

They (Lerner family) need credibility on the sideline to take some of the heat that’s about to finally land on them.

Don’t wait Phil. Get on the phone now. The owner will support you. GMs get at least one mulligan in choosing coaches – unless you are the Ford family of course. You just got yours (mulligan).

You are going to make the move at some point in the next four months anyway – we all know it. For once, don’t be behind the curve. Be a man, take your medicine and admit Romeo has lost this team and things are spiraling out of control.

Don’t worry about RC, he’ll be fine. You already went against our advice and made sure his children never have to work by giving him an extension last year when it wasn’t necessary.

What more do you need to see? How else do you explain the sideline arguments between players, silly penalties (i.e. neutral zone violations, late hits by receivers, etc..) and general lack of discipline?

You’ve got two weeks to start the treatment before the next game. Don’t wait until the patient (team) is dead. There’s still something to salvage this season with the right leadership. It starts with you Phil. You know what has to be done – be proactive.

Being reactive will only prolong the agony.

By the way, we made the same recommendation two years ago at this time. Perhaps this time, he'll listen.

No comments: