Sunday, October 28, 2007

Browns – Rams Observations

Perception Is Reality
The Browns are a good football team at 4-3, having won two games in a row for the first time since October of 2003. Actually, it took playing two winless teams for the Browns to win back-to-back games for the first time in four years.

DA is turning into a quality starting NFL quarterback leading the league’s fourth-rated offense. Actually, he has been the recipient of near perfect protection, a solid running game, a trio of quality receivers with size and athleticism, and an offensive coordinator who seems to have a good handle on things.

The defense got stops when they had to today –especially in short yardage situations. Actually, if S. Jackson plays the whole game, the Rams pick up those first downs and probably torch the Browns for 30+ points.

It all depends on your perception of reality. Me, I like to think the truth is probably somewhere in-between.

Edwards In Hawaii
Let me be the first to say it - B. Edwards is having a Pro Bowl season.Yea, I know I have ridden him pretty hard since coming to town (see Butterfingers references). But the man is finally earning his large salary. If I did not recognize that fact, I would lose all credibility.

I recently had an epiphany. That’s “a moment of true intuitive understanding” for those of you working in MLB - crystal meth head and the Flats' cab kicker.

I decided recently that I have to start judging NFL receivers differently that I did when I was young. I grew up watching Paul Warfield, Charlie Joiner, Art Monk, Steve Largent, Jerry Rice, etc… None of these players were tremendous physical specimens who ran 4.3s. All they did was catch everything thrown their way, move the sticks, hand the ball quietly to the zebras after scoring touchdowns and earn Hall of Fame status.

Today’s best receivers often drop as many balls as they catch for touchdowns over the course of a season (i.e. TO). NFL receivers also happen to be the most selfish pro athletes playing team sports (see TO, Randy Moss, etc…) by far. I don’t know why that is the case, but it just is.

Therefore, I will have to live with #17 dropping a few balls and doing really stupid things from time to time - grabbing a QB’s jersey on the sideline, going to a college football game the day before a game instead of getting the appropriate rest after being waned not to, or taking a helmet off at the end of play while ON THE FIELD. It goes with the territory today.

He epitomizes today’s NFL stud wide-outs – big, strong, fast, talented, with iffy hands. Those are the guys that make the Pro-Bowl these days. I’ll have to adjust. Enjoy Hawaii #17, you are on pace to earn your way there without having to pay for a ticket.

O Line Leading the Way
DA was not hit by a Ram defender until 12 minutes remaining in the game. The offensive line continues to dominate. The only other teams in the conference getting that kind of time are in New England and Indianapolis. It is no coincidence the signal-callers with big numbers rarely get touched.

What Rush
K. Wimbley is MIA this fall. That, along with lack of overall talent, has the Browns on pace for a sub-20 sack season on defense. That’s not good.

Run Stoppers
The Browns finally kept a back under 100 yards. Unfortunately, it took an injury to St. Louis’ best player for that to happen.

Good Fortune
It’s the only part of sports I believe luck plays a part in. Cleveland has played the season virtually injury-free compared to most clubs around the league..

#28
L. Bodden has easily been the Browns’ best defensive player this fall. I know – that’s not saying much in 2007. He will get beat from time to time. All corners get beat, especially when you cover the opponent’s best receiver, without the aid of a pass rush, with no touch rules being implemented to aid the offense. But he also makes plays – including a pair of interceptions to stop opposing offenses in crunch time.

More Winless Team Please
The cupcake schedule changes somewhat in November. Seattle is decent, followed by a pair of divisional games on the road against teams the Browns are looking up at.

When will I believe this is a good football team?

I’ll be a believer when they (Browns) win two of the next three. What I see now is the following – a playoff caliber offense and special teams, and a very poor defense. Two of three ain’t bad!.

Remember, we covered their weak schedule in depth several editions ago. Based on their remaining schedule, they should win more than they lose. However, in my mind, you become a quality NFL team when you can beat a good team on the road. They will have their chance to do that this November.

No 17-0
Neither the Pats nor the Colts will go undefeated.

My Chips
When you get on record early like I do – some times you get them right (V. Young) and some times you don’t (M. Vick). Although, in my defense, I had no way of knowing MV wasn’t man’s best friend. I don’t mind – it comes with the territory. I have faith in my batting average.

So let me get a few thing off my chest. You know who you are.

First, Jeff Garcia is one of the NFL’s 10 best quarterbacks and has been throughout his NFL career – including when he played with the Browns and Lions. Sometimes, the people around you aren’t very good. When that’s the case, the guy who suffers most is the QB. He’s not going into the HOF, but compared to most of the guys taking snaps throughout the league in the past 10 years, he’s very good.

We surmised two years ago before the draft that L. White had the type of body that could carry the load at RB in the NFL – more so than his famed teammate, Reggie Bush. We got toasted for that comment at the time. Right now, L. White is a true NFL running back, and for some reason, R. Bush is not - at least according to the team that picked him (Saints). That’s okay- Bush still gets all the endorsement deals.

Yea, I know. I got Justin Zwick wrong. Last time I looked though, he has just as many pro completions as T. Smith. That’s an inside joke for my boy DB and talking heads who had TS going in round one prior to the '07 bowl game meltdown. TS was a terrific college QB, but a borderline first day/second day pick with some NFL talent before the loss to Florida and after the loss to Florida. One game does not a career make - either way in my book. That's why I am "The Wizard."

The Pats
The Patriots currently lead the Skins 38-0 in the fourth quarter with Tom Brady still on the field throwing the pigskin all over the place. There’s one more reason to dislike BB. He may be a first ballot HOF coach, but we had him pegged right when he was in Cleveland. He’s classless!

I have more chips – but I’ll wait till later, including the rest of the free world finally figuring out the Cavaliers have some holes.

You all got your money’s worth this week.

Indians’ Report Card next!

No comments: