Saturday, October 6, 2007

Yankees - Indians Game #2

Tribe Up 2-0
Fausto Carmona has sick stuff. I'm not a pitching coach, nor do I play one on tv, but this kid has nearly unhittable stuff when he is on. I have never seen a pitcher throw a sinker in the mid 90s like he does. There is almost no difference in speed between his fastball and change. That's unheard of. His other pitches aren't too shabby either. He might have the best natural stuff of any Indian pitcher I have ever seen.

Meanwhile, Rafael Perez and Rafael Betancourt have picked up where they left off in the regular season. Rafael left, in particular, has been dominant. Remember, this is the same team that at times last year DID NOT carry a lefty in the pen - let alone have one of this caliber. He might just be the best set-up lefty in the game right now.

The scary part is he and Carmona are just kids. Overall, the Indians have the best group of young arms I have seen in the system since I can remember. If Adam Miller is anywhere near as good as being advertised, the Tribe should be set on the hill for some time to come.

Congratulations to the Tribe for going 2-0 at home. They did what they had to do in their building.

No one has asked me, but I would take no chances and go back to Sabathia and Carmona in games #4 and #5 if those games become necessary.

ARod
First the disclaimer - Arod is the best player in baseball and has been for some time now according to these eyes. He might eventually go down as the best player of all-time. However, he won't get there going 4 for his last 47 and 0 for his last 18 in post-season play. He has to deliver in the playoffs. It's that simple. When you get paid $25 milion a year, ownership, teammates, fans and the media expect you to also perform in the playoffs. He deserves the heat he gets until that happens.

Manny
I saw where the Angles walked Ortiz to face Manny with the game on the line Friday night. Manny responded by going yard. I understand the logic of matching up righty with righty. However, I have a simple philosophy I woud follow here. It goes as follows - Manny is going into the Hall of Fame, and right now, Ortiz is not. Manny is the best right handed hitter I have ever seen. I would NEVER walk anyone to get to Manny. Again, I understand the logic. I just don't agree.

Browns vs. NE
The Brownies are 16.5 point dogs at NE. I can't remember the last timne I've seen a pro team nearly 17 point underdogs. That's expected with how the Patriots are playing. However,Clevealnd should be expected to play a competitive game. What I want to see is good organization, the offensive playmakers making some plays, the defense at least making Brady and company work and the special teams to play well. If the Browns don't cough it up several times, they should not embarrass themselves. They are also getting paid, remember.

No comments: