Saturday, April 19, 2008

Hits & Misses Pre-NBA Playoffs

NBA Playoffs
Before the season started, we had the Celtics and Spurs meeting in the Finals with the Spurs winning the title. We see no reason to change that prediction.

Detroit seems like the only team capable of coming out of the East besides the revamped Celtics, but we like Garnett and company to edge the Pistons in the conference finals. One can make a viable argument for all eight teams possibly coming out of the West, however, if healthy, we still like the experience of the defending champs.

As for the Cavaliers, my heart says 23 will carry them to the second round, but my head says the Wizards will take this series. All the variables point to a Cavalier first round exit – James is not 100%, they aren’t guarding anyone, the team has not meshed since the trade, once again no one can realistically be depended on every night to play well besides James, the Wizards have payback on their mind, and finally, after James, the next three best players in the series all wear Washington uniforms (Arenas, Jamison, Butler). A reminder - I have been wrong before.

I know, I know. I’m the same guy who said a few months ago James would take his team deeper into the '08 playoffs than Kobe. I am still not sold on the Lakers, but I have seen enough of the Cavaliers to think they just don’t have what it takes to make a deep playoff run in ‘08. On this one, I have to go with Spygate's mastermind, who infamously said when coaching the Browns in the early/mid 90s – “I can only go by what I see.”

You Never Know
If I told you the Tribe would have a starter sitting at 3-0 in mid-April, you would have rattled off several potential names and never mentioned Cliff Lee. I saw Lee pitch for the first time last night in the win over the Twins. He’s throwing more fastballs, throwing strikes and just as important, throwing inside. That’s something CC should be doing and hasn't this spring. If you don’t establish the inside part of the plate, hitters at this level will make you pay even if you have great stuff. When CC starts brushing people back and occasionally hitting a few batters, the quality starts will return as well.

NFL Draft
There they go again. I was flipping channels yesterday and happened to catch one of many upcoming NFL draft specials on ESPN. Several of the talking heads referred to Boston College’s quarterback (Ryan) as a “franchise” player. One even compared his skill-set to P. Manning and T. Brady. NICE!!!

This dialogue reminded me of why I don’t like such programs. One of my sports 10 commandments states - “Never use the term “franchise player" when describing someone who hasn’t achieved anything. Such status should be reserved for those who have achieved such status (i.e. Hall of Fame caliber).

For example, as you are aware, I am a huge Brady Q. fan and believe he will be one of the league’s five best signal-callers within two to three years of starting. Yet, I have never referred to him as a “franchise quarterback.” First, I may be wrong, and second, that term denigrates those who have already earned the label.

For those who care (DB), the little I saw of DI football this year, I came away with the impression that there isn’t one QB I would take with a top-10 pick in this draft. That's right - no "franchise" QBs in this group.

Annoying Reminder
Yes, I still want Barry Bonds in the middle of the Tribe line-up and Pac Man covering the Browns opponents' #1 receiving threat this fall. Both are STILL available and would come cheap. At this point, Pac Man carries more baggage than Bonds, who has had his legal issues with the Feds pushed back. It's a business, remember?

Think about it, who would you rather get with a fourth round pick next week - some defensive tackle from Fresno State you never heard of, or a true, quality cover corner not seen in Cleveland since Dixon/Minnifield? Secondly, where else can you get a HOF middle-of-the-order bat immediately?

Coming soon - the 10 commandments.

No comments: