Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Randon Thoughts, 4-30-'08

Draft Review
Yes, I watched some of the NFL draft this past weekend. The fact they sped up the process kept me semi-interested. Some observations follow.

I would not take an offensive lineman with the first pick in the draft. He has to have an Anthony Munoz type career to be worth it in my book. I know, I know - the left tackle protects the quarterback’s blind side and is crucial in the running game. Still, I would take a guy who makes plays with the football, makes a ton of tackles or sacks the signal-caller on third down with that high a pick. That’s just my prerogative.

The Steelers continue to show why they have had the best player personnel department in the NFL for years. If you look at their 2008 draft, they got quality where they were sitting, filled needs and didn’t reach for players.

It’s amazing to see the Titans continue to hang their young quarterback (Vince Young) out to dry by not drafting a receiver early, or trading to acquire a disgruntled, Pro Bowl NFL receiver (see Johnson, Bolden, etc.).

No, I don’t see what all the “experts” see in Matt Ryan. Granted, I haven’t seen that much of him – I don’t sit in my parents’ basement and watch film in-between Star Trek episodes. However, I have seen enough to disagree with the Falcons making him the third pick overall. I surmise part of the reason the pick was made was to turn the page on the Vick Era in Georgia. That’s not why you go QB with that choice. I would have taken the big dude from LSU (Glenn Dorsey) to plug the interior.

The Browns had a solid draft without making any choices in day one based on filling two of their three D-line positions with quality veterans through trades. If their run defense improves dramatically this fall, one could argue the Browns had a great draft.

Again, in most cases, I would rather have a proven NFL talent than a 22 year old fresh out of college with "potential." I guess I am a George Allen disciple.

Cavaliers In Control
I am happy to note the Cavaliers are making me look bad by being up 3-1 with a chance to close it out at home tonight against the mouthy Bullets - yes the Bullets. I picked Washington to advance, as you know, based mainly on how the Cavaliers were playing heading into the post-season. I am not a homer – meaning I make choices based on what I see, not what I feel. Regardless, I will be very happy to be wrong on this one. Here’s hoping the Cavaliers have a killer’s instinct and close it out in five this evening.

Why are they ahead? – simple, LJ is playing well, as expected, he is getting enough help from his friends, the Wizards don’t defend and have had a difficult time finding the right chemistry with Arenas returning to the line-up.

KISS
You have heard me numerous times talk about “keeping it simple stupid” when it comes to sports. There is no better example of this than watching an NBA playoff game. Notice what many teams run offensively in crunch time over and over again – the simple, old-fashioned pick and roll.

The Natural
I have said it before, but it is worth repeating - Victor Martinez has a great approach at the plate. He is never off balance and rarely has a bad at bat. When I watch the Tribe, I make sure to catch his at bats. Every young hitter should study this guy’s approach.

Travis
We have reached May and Travis Hafner is still not hitting. This team simply cannot afford another sub par year from him and expect to reach the post-season. That’s asking too much from this pitching staff to match last year’s efforts. He needs to turn it around very soon or the fans and media will turn on him soon - making for a potentially ugly summer for Hafner.

No comments: