Thursday, November 6, 2008

Broncos - Browns Post Mortem

Relax. Be happy. That's right. Be happy.

Remember what this site is all about - recognizing the big picture when everyone else is stuck in the now.

If you want to read or hear moans and groans about another tough loss, go elsewhere. What you saw tonight should make you happy (long-term) if you are a Browns' fan and its my job to remind you of that fact.

The Quinn ERA has arrived - albeit 24 football weeks late, but it has finally arrived.

I could care less the Browns lost.

The 3-5 start doomed the season - which began with playoff aspirations - to failure. If you thought they were going 7-1 the rest of the way, you have a problem I can't correct.

This team has holes. They were on display again this evening.

Stay with me here.

What's important now is giving Quinn EVERY snap the rest of the season so he can learn and grow. That's priority #1.

Meanwhile, the organization also needs to figure out who to keep and who to discard before 2009 arrives. That should be priority #2 the next two months.

That's it in a nutshell.

No, Quinn won't be able to come in on his white horse and save the season - although he gave it one heck of an effort this evening in his first pro start.

Secondly, as much up-side as I believe he has, I know he will stumble some in these final seven weeks. That's just football. Thanks to the Crennel/Savage braintrust he's unfortunately still a rookie in terms of playing experience.

No, BQ is not superman. But the kid will learn and be better for it - and most importantly, so will the Browns.

Couple his likely growth curve with free agency and a good draft, and this football team should be very good very soon - like in 2009.

I know, I know. It's tough watching this team find a way to fail year in year out.

Like I said - relax. The future is bright. Even these guys in charge (Crennel/Savage) will have a tough time screwing this up now that they have finally taken the training wheels and bib off BQ.

You see, if you have a top-flight QB and an outstanding left tackle (Joe Thomas), you are half way home. The Browns will have that very soon as Quinn develops and gains more confidence.

The next 8-10 years should be fun to watch. Good days are ahead my friends.

Now they need to find that consistent pass rusher to get them off the field on third down - something they have lacked since the 60s. I suggest using free agency to fill that void, but what do I know?

A good cover corner is also needed. We begged for one back in August, but that's water under the bridge.

Did anyone mention D'Angelo Hall is available? Sorry. That's for another day.

Tonight's loss was tough. I know. And while everyone else will focus on yet another collapse, they will miss the big picture - as usual.

You haven't missed it however. I won't allow it.

Be patient for a little while longer and be happy. Good days are ahead. I promise.

If you don't believe me by now, you never will.

No comments: