Sunday, November 30, 2008

War & Peace

I'm warning you, this is a long one, but well worth the read.

Brown Thoughts
First, some house cleaning is needed.

Why, because I got numerous calls, texts and e-mails last year and this past summer from friends giving me a hard time about DA’s 29 touchdown passes, Braylon Edwards’ Pro Bowl appearance and ridiculing me for stating Romeo Crennel did not deserve a contract extension.

I have heard nothing from said individuals this season.

By the way, we also repeatedly called for the Browns to acquire a cover corner back in July and were the first to state Phil Savage was in over his head. Not to mention our calls for dealing Derek Anderson before his trading value went south and our desire to unload Butterfingers while you still could.

I have said it over and over again – I can’t change a tire, can barely screw in a light bulb and have no idea how my computer works, but I know this stuff – especially the teams I watch all the time.

It's a curse.

Unfortunately, I nailed it with one large exception – I figured the Browns would win nine games this season, even though we called last season's 10 win total a result of a weak schedule and an injury-free campaign.

Why?

I thought the Browns had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL based on last year’s performance.

I was wrong.

The “O” line had a brief stretch in ’08 where they played exceptionally well (the Giants game and three games that followed), but overall, they have been at best a middle of the pack unit – especially in terms of run blocking.

Combine the line’s C grade with the prior holes stated going in, and you have a team that will, at best, finish with six wins – our guess after the 0-3 start when we called for heads to roll (our second such call in two years).

I simply missed it.

I truly felt the offensive line would play well enough to carry Anderson across the finish line in terms of him posting adequate numbers (i.e. 25 TDs/16 INTs/.570 %) and providing enough holes in the running game to give the Browns a good offense once again in ’08 - thus the nine wins.

So, here is the point to all this – While everyone else is NOW focusing on Anderson not being the answer, Butterfingers’ drops, the lack of defensive talent, from a pass rusher, to a quality linebacker, to a cover corner, and everything in between, we focus on the one we missed – the “O” line’s underachieving season.

Again, I simply missed it. It’s the one thing that caught me by surprise this season.

The “O” line will go unnoticed by many come this off-season because their focus will be elsewhere, but it should be an issue of concern for whoever takes over.

I should charge you for this level of insight. Just kidding.

The other reason I went on this self ass-kissing binge is because of what I have heard or read the past couple weeks from media members, former players and coaches.

Because of this, I am seriously thinking of turning off my television while running on the treadmill this coming winter.

Here is a capsule of what I’ve had to deal with from “experts:"

“No one knew Anderson would take such a step backwards. You had to bring him back and make him the starter.”

“Edwards had such a great year in 2007, who would have thought he would drop so many balls this season. He didn’t do that last year.”

“The Browns need to seriously look at replacing most of their linebackers. Those guys are slow and don’t make enough plays. They might need to go to a 4-3."

“Cleveland needs to draft a corner next April or sign a quality free agent that can cover.”

“Randy Lerner needs to think long and hard about starting from scratch and dumping both Crennel and Savage.”

And as I am writing this, I read an ESPN scroll stating the Browns are looking at Cowher or Marty to take over the reigns of this dysfunctional organization and that Romeo Crennel would need a “miracle finish” to keep his job.

Really?

Next, I’ll be told the sky is blue.

Remember, this site was created so I could get on record BEFORE EVERYONE ELSE and consequences be damned. Thus, I have always had faith in my batting average.

In baseball terms, unfortunately, it’s as though I went 4-for-5 when it comes to the Browns in 2008. Ty Cobb had the highest batting average in baseball history with an amazing .364 mark. If I'm wrong, someone will let me know, I'm sure.

Mine is much better. No one else is going to pat me on the back, so I might as well do it. Besides, those who know me well, know that I DON’T take compliments well - just like I don’t like it when people invade my personal space and try to hug me.

Like that happens a lot.

Again, I truly wish I went hitless in '08 when it comes to the Browns. If that were the case, we would be talking playoffs right now. Unfortunately, I wasn’t.

Now you might better understand why most of this stuff bores me.

Okay, enough self-ass kissing. Let’s cover some other ground.

Tom Brady Who
How soon they forget.

I'm on that treadmill again the other day and two media members on a network program I'm watching actually had a conversation comparing Tom Brady and Matt Cassell as if they were in the same universe talent-wise. Amazing.

How Dare You Question Coaches
Dallas goes to four wides in the red zone last week and the team they were playing actually had a linebacker lined up covering TO in the slot. The end result – an easy pitch and catch touchdown pass from Tony Romo to TO. A stunner, right?

I wonder what genius watching film 24-7 who sleeps in the team complex came up with that defensive scheme. And the bigger concern is why no other coach on staff suggested it might be a bad idea to cover TO with a linebacker ANYWHERE, let alone near the goal line.

Speaking of Romo – He’s another clear example of why you have to get the quarterback position right. With him out, the Cowboys struggled, since his return, the Boys are rolling again. It’s as simple as that.

Think how much different the Browns’ season could have been had they dealt DA in the off-season, picked up a true pass rusher or cover corner in the trade, and turned the offense over to Quinn. Do you really think they’d be 4-8 right now?

At minimum, they would have a much better idea of what they have in Quinn.

By the way, I was asked what, if anything, I learned from his three starts. Answer -not much. Again, give him 24 starts and we'll talk further. I still firmly believe he can take this organization to places it hasn't been since Bernie was behind center in the late 80s.

The NFL & Late Nights On The Town
I am stunned. An NFL player went to a nightclub and got into trouble. This time, Plaxico Burress allegedly shot himself at a club. What was he doing, showing the hopefully, well-endowed young lady his nine millimeter while she was giving him a lap dance?

Who Is No. 1
Anyone who tells you they know who has the best team in Division I college football is a pompous moron. There is no way of knowing without a playoff format, that at minimum allows conference champion, and the best independents, to compete against one another in a season-ending elimination tournament.

Otherwise, there is no reason to claim the 119 Division I teams all play for the same goal. They simply don’t. End of debate.

More Browns
What ever happened to the fade route near the end zone? It must have gone the way of the screen pass – filed in drawer 13.

I feel bad for DA. You all know I don’t think he’s ever going to lead a team to the promise land, but I always feel bad when a player gets hurt – especially because he seems like a class act. I hope he lands on his feet as a starter elsewhere.

Secondly, I hope the Browns will use the final four games and take a good look at some of the youngsters – i.e TE Rucker LB Bell, etc… Unfortunately, RC will likely play the veterans trying to salvage what’s left of the season.

That’s another reason I would have gone to Cowher or Marty early on had one accepted the offer. They would be more apt to play the kids righ now in order to get some tape on them for off-season evaluation purposes. The experience they were to gain would also be a huge plus heading into 2009.

We shall see who quits and who doesn’t now that the roof has officially caved in for the Brownies in ‘08. Again, there is no curse. Bad decisions lead to bad results.

By the way, we like Ken Dorsey as a back-up. He’s intelligent and gets the most out of his talent level. He might make a good offensive coordinator some day, if he chooses to take that route.

I expect the Browns to keep it simple with him as the starter and I think he will not embarrass himself.

As for the loss against the Colts, I was bored by the way both teams played. Even Indianapolis played it close to the vest. I figured the Browns would try running it all day against an undersized D and the did. But it seemed like Peyton Manning checked down to runs a lot as well.

Regardless, give the Browns' D credit for not getting embarrassed. Unfortunately, Indy's strategy worked – play it safe and wait for the Browns to find a way to lose –which they did when OL Hank Frailey got pancaked by a 225 pound pass rusher on his way to causing DA to fumble, which was returned for a TD.

Game, set and match.

Good teams find a way to win while bad teams....you get the point. The Colts are an ugly 8-4. But then gain, there is no such thing as an “ugly” win – especially when it’s part of a multi-billion dollar business.

Another Pet Peeve
Why do teams go empty backfield on 3rd & 2 or even 3rd & 1 at times? Talk about tipping your hand. You should NEVER go empty backfield 3rd & 1. If I were an offensive lineman on that team, I would be embarrassed and $#@ off when that personnel package shows up in the huddle on 3rd and short.

Cavaliers
I have had the opportunity to work some Cavalier basketball games recently, so I have been able to watch them up close.

Here’s what I think:

As we stated at the outset of the season, they won’t lose very often at home this year. Look for them to challenge to team home single-season home win mark – which I believe is 35. They should also shatter their single-season win mark if they stay healthy (57).

Are they that good? Actually, it’s a combination of them being very good and the league being bad. There are a lot of mediocre to bad teams in the NBA right now. The Cavs should feast on this.

Even when they take some quarters off, they have LJ, who can flip the switch an any moment and lead them to a win. That means there will be some nights where they may only play 12-15 very good minutes of basketball but still win. We have seen that several times this season already – especially at home.

We stated a while back that Moe Williams was very good and is the best player LJ has ever played with. You will begin to hear others echo these thoughts soon. Williams plays under control and is just what the doctor ordered for this club.

He can shoot it, break down defenses with penetration, find the open man and play at any pace – fast or slow. He has also allowed Delonte West to play the 2-guard, where he seems very comfortable, especially when spotting up for 3s from the deep corners.

He (Williams) is headed for his first All-Star appearance.

They (Cavs) could use one more 6’6 athlete who can defend and run the floor to rotate in some at the 2 or 3, but that’s like asking for whip cream with your large chocolate sundae.

If their top seven in the rotation are healthy come April, they will be a very difficult team to beat 4x.

Ohio State Observations
I have seen Ohio State play enough this season to state the following:

They have the best player in college football on their roster - defensive back Malcolm Jenkins. I am talking about the best player in terms of NFL potential. He’s as close to a “can’t miss” as you’ll find. He can play corner or both safety positions at the next level.

I would also have him return kicks and see if he can handle punts as well. I would also think about giving him a couple touches a game on offense. That’s right – offense.

He would look very good in a Browns' uniform, and the way they are playing, they may have a shot at him. Before the season started, I liked B. Wells in terms of pro potential more than Jenkins, but I have changed my mind.

I haven't soured on Wells, although health issues are a concern, it's because Jenkins now reminds me of former Steeler Rob Woodson.

On the other side, I would NOT take James Laurinaitis with a relatively high #1 pick. If I am sitting in the 20s, I might take him, depending on who is left of course - but not before then.

Why you ask? I’m glad you asked.

It’s the same reasoning I had for not wanting Butterfingers at #3 several years ago. Michigan receivers look good in their Under Armour underwear at the combines, but they usually underachieve in the NFL.

Same goes for OSU linebackers. They usually turn out to be between average and pretty good players at the next level – but rarely bring you “value” at that pick.

The last one that did was named Chris Spielman – who was not a first round choice but was a consistent tackling machine that had a long, successful career.

What’s my point – in my humble opinion, the team that takes Jenkins will be very happy five years from now while the team that takes Laurinaitis with the 10th pick overall will have reached.

I told you there was a lot of reading involved this time.

Till next time.

No comments: