Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Broncos - Browns Preview & Historical Election

Prediction
We stated at the conclusion of our last entry (Ravens II Post-Mortem) that we liked the Browns to win a close one in a relatively high scoring affair with the Broncos Thursday night. We see no reason to change that prediction with BQ at the helm.

As for the change in quarterbacks, I have already made my thoughts crystal clear the past two years -- this team basically wasted exactly one year and half (24 games) when it could have been playing and developing the quarterback who will eventually lead this organization out of its quagmire.

I do have one comment on something I read yesterday in one of the local papers however because I found it so stunning.

Of all the things that have been said and written about the quarterback switch, by far the dumbest was the notion that BQ will be sacked more than DA. I had to read it three times to make sure I was reading it right.

Let’s see – Quinn is more likely to check down quicker to the backs and he’s a lot more athletic (read: mobile) than DA, yet this reporter hypothesizes that Quinn will take more sacks. I have absolutely NO IDEA how he came to that conclusion.

The opposite is true. Mobile quarterbacks get sacked less because they often make the first person miss, and can buy more time in the pocket, thus moving the sticks with their legs on occasion.

The rest of the conversation and type found locally and nationally on the switch bores me, with the exception of Trent Dilfer’s comments that “the fans forced the move.”

This guy was a below average NFL quarterback when he played, and he’s even worse in his analysis gig. In the dictionary under the term “manage the game,” you see a mug shot of Dilfer. Dilfer made many more bad decisions than good ones when he played and he’s obviously doing the same with his mouth.

If anything, the Browns gave DA a long leash, not a short one. If you look at where DA currently stands in all the major QB categories, it’s near the bottom. More importantly, the team is at 3-5 at the half way mark when a playoff run was expected. Yes, the talent around him has been inconsistent at best, but so was he - often following up one good quarter with a horrid one. This all coming after 24 starts.

How long will it take Quinn to figure it out?

I will just refer back to one of my very first entries two years ago – Quinn will eventually be a Pro-Bowl caliber quarterback, who with the appropriate supporting cast, has the skills to take this team to a Super Bowl. In my humble opinion – “HE HAS IT!

If you aren’t on board – fine. I just ask you give him (BQ) 24 games and see where the franchise is at that point in time with this guy running the show before you tell me I am full of it. Fair enough?

Election Results
My side lost, but that’s the way it goes some times. It will be interesting to see how BO actually governs. Beautifully delivered soaring rhetoric is one thing, but delivering on those promises is another.

I actually heard an audio clip of a young woman say the following after she left the voting booth: “I am so excited. With Obama as President, I won’t have to worry about paying my mortgage bill or gas for my car.”

That is scary.

It’s scary because I believe she is not alone in her thinking. He is partially responsible for creating that kind of thinking with the rhetoric he chose to use – basically promising the moon, stars and sky. And she is partially responsible for not having enough common sense to understand how politics and the economy work.

Regardless, when January arrives, we shall begin to see how he actually governs.
One thing is certain, he set such a high bar for himself with his rhetoric that will be next to impossible to reach.

If BA governs from the left, I suspect conservatives will be in a good position to rebound in 2012, just like Reagan took advantage of Jimmy Carter’s four years in office from 1976-1980.

If BA governs from the center, he will be a very formidable opponent in 2012 with his natural charisma and four years experience in office on his resume.

No matter what your preference was and is, it was an historical election. Hopefully, the election of BA will finally put to rest the notion that this is a racist country.

Yes, there are those among us who are still uncomfortable in a melting pot setting. That is a fact. But it is not nearly as widespread as some make it out to be. The election of BO as president is an indicator people are less concerned with race when evaluating others.

My hope is that those who have made a living off race-baiting will be marginalized after this election. Race baiting doesn't do anyone any good - it creates a "give me mentality" on one side, and fosters resentment on the other.

Good luck BO - you'll need it.

As for me, I just want my president, whoever he/she is, to protect the people and stay out of my way.

That's (national security) his/her most important duty as designed by those wise men way back when.

No comments: